By Paul Thomas, Senior Editor
Quality by Design has been lacking ways to recognize those that have made significant contributions to the movement. AIChE has understood this need and, starting this year, will present two new awards for Excellence in Quality by Design. 2010 winners are:
- Dr. Kevin Seibert, Eli Lilly, for Outstanding Contribution to QbD for Drug Substance (sponsored by DynoChem Inc)
- Dr. Salvador Garcia-Munoz, Pfizer, for Outstanding Contribution to QbD for Drug Product (sponsored by Pfizer, Inc.)
The awards will be presented during the AIChE annual meeting November in Salt Lake City. (For agenda and registration information, see below.) Nominations and voting were decided by a blinded committee of senior AIChE Pharma members.
AIChE aims to recognize leaders in technical application of QbD principles, says Joe Hannon, PhD, owner at Scale-up Systems (Dublin), and 2010 Program Chair for the AIChE Pharma division. The awards “will spur the development and adoption of technologies required to support achievement of the desired state,” he says.
Seibert was nominated for his various contributions to the field, including a widely quoted 2008 article from the Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation, “Determination of Process Parameter Criticality in Small-molecule API Synthesis.”
Garcia-Munoz was nominated for his leadership role in the inaugural QbD Topical Conference at the AIChE 2009 Annual Meeting, and related contributions to this field.
Both recipients will also give presentations at this fall’s meeting. Seibert will speak on “The Heartburn Associated with Implementing Quality by Design Principles,” while Garcia-Munoz will address “Accelerated Development and Improved Process Operations Using Advanced Multivariate Latent Variable Modeling.”
Led by Pfizer’s Chris Seymour (also a Director of AIChE), AIChE has dramatically increased its QbD-related programming in the past few years, and is now a “must-visit” for QbD thought leaders. Here is more information on the QbD track and on AIChE 2010 in general:
Editor’s Note: This article is an exclusive to PharmaQbD. AIChE will announce more details of the awards and their recipients in the coming weeks.
- Snapshots from AIChE: QbD Takes Front and Center
- At this week's AIChE 2010, QbD awards were handed out, while 24 sessions directly addressed pharma process development and scale-up....
- No Campaigning, But Plenty of Worthy Candidates
- AIChE is now accepting nominations for its annual Excellence in QbD awards....
- Envelope Please: AIChE Hands Out QbD Awards
- Jose Tabora of BMS, Theodora Kourti of GSK, and Pfizer's Champix team take home the hardware from Minneapolis....
- Who Shows Excellence in QbD? Nominate Now
- AIChE will once again hand out awards for Excellence in QbD this fall, and is now accepting nominations....
- Nominations for AIChE QbD Awards: 2013
- AIChE is now asking for nominations for their 2013 QbD awards to celebrated engineers or scientists from industry, academia or...